My first batch of porcelain “sea forms” survived their first trip through the kiln. These are all completely free form pieces- I wasn’t quite sure what the final object would be and they all have a very organic ( and oceanic) look to them. Next step – glazing.
So the first batch of experimental necklace pendants is out of the kiln. Most of them turned out different shades of brown- I thought they would come out different colors but whats on the label isn’t necessarily what will come out of the oven. They definitely have a nice earthy look to them- especially with the hemp cord.
I probably should have written down which glazes were on each pendant. My two favorites were the Salt Buff on White and the Ironstone on White (at least I think that’s what they are)
So with this Gingko leaf shaped spoon rest I wanted to try glazing with actual gold leaf. It was first coated along the back and sides with Temmoku (a brown/black glaze) the the top was coated with Nutmeg (an orange-brown glaze). I then basically water gilt the top part with 24 kt gold leaf using “magic water” (a glass forming liquid – basically water with a high amount of silica). When it dried I topcoated the gold with a “clear” glaze. The results were not quite what I expected-
While the “clear” glaze actually came out very cloudy- and the gold leaf seemed to magically disappear- the final results were actually quite beautiful. The clear glaze developed striations-like you would find in onyx- where the gold leaf had crackled underneath. And in these if you look really closely you can see tiny specks of the gold leaf caught in the clear glaze.
So my first batch of tree stump porcelain candle sticks are glazed and fired. I chose a warm white glaze that when fired produced this nice matte finish mottled with patches of pearl-gray. I also made a few that would make a nice flower bud vase (or pencil holder) and a few shot glasses. And like most of my sculpted works these are very animated. I have another batch with darker glazes I will be posting photos of soon.
So I finally have the results of my second batch of leaf shaped porcelain spoon rests and soap dishes. With these I tried out a number of different glazes and experimented with layering and application.